The Cincinnati Reds (42-63) and Milwaukee Brewers (58-48) meet Saturday for the 2nd game of a 3-game set at American Family Field. First pitch is set for 7:15 p.m. ET. Let’s analyze Tipico Sportsbook‘s lines around the Reds vs. Brewers odds with MLB picks and predictions.
Season series: Brewers lead 8-2
The Reds went 4-1 — yielding just 9 total runs — over their 5 games prior to this series. Cincinnati coughed up 5 runs in Friday’s opener.
The Brewers — now winners of 4 straight over the Reds — had lost 4 consecutive games heading into this series. Milwaukee is 6-1 with an .876 OPS over 7 home games in the second half.
Reds at Brewers projected starters
LHP Nick Lodolo vs. LHP Aaron Ashby
Lodolo (3-3, 4.23 ERA) is lined up for his 9th start. He has clocked a 1.57 WHIP, 3.8 BB/9 and 12.7 K/9 through 38 1/3 IP.
- Has allowed just 1 ER on 9 hits with 16 K through 12 IP across 2 starts since the All-Star break.
- Facing a Milwaukee offense that has Jekyll & Hyde splits. The Brewers own a .767 OPS against righties (4th MLB), but they’ve registered a mere .663 OPS against southpaws (25th).
Ashby (2-9, 4.13 ERA) has appeared in 20 games (14 as a starter) and has thrown 80 2/3 innings. He has a 1.45 WHIP, 4.0 BB/9 and 10.9 K/9.
- Allowed 5 R (all unearned) on 5 H and 3 BB with 6 K in 4 2/3 IP in his last start Sunday at the Boston Red Sox.
- Has logged a 2.84 ERA and 0.99 WHIP across 25 1/3 IP at home.
Reds at Brewers odds and lines
- Money line: Reds +145 (bet $100 to win $145) | Brewers -180 (bet $180 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Reds +1.5 (-140) | Brewers -1.5 (+115)
- Over/Under (O/U): 7.5 (O: -112 | U: -108)
Reds at Brewers picks and predictions
Brewers 4, Reds 3
PASS on current prices. The Reds are a lean in principle but only a partial-unit play at +155 or better.
With a strong low-scoring lean for the game and liking Cincinnati for its solid 8-6 mark in the second half, there is LEVERAGE IN THE REDS +1.5 (-140).
Both bullpens and offenses line up with expected numbers that come in on the Under side of what performances have been in box scores.
Both starters have been hurt by unkind rates around the margins (Lodolo, for instance, has pitched through a .406 batting average on balls in play). And Milwaukee’s offense against left-handers goes down more than a couple of notches.
BACK THE UNDER 7.5 (-108).