The Baltimore Orioles (86-51) and Los Angeles Angels (64-74) meet
Tuesday for the 2nd game of a 3-game set. First pitch from Angel Stadium is at 9:38 p.m. ET (MLB Network).
Season series: Orioles lead 3-2
Baltimore took Monday’s series opener 6-3. The 1st-place team in the AL East took 2-of-3 from the Arizona Diamondbacks over the weekend and has won 3 consecutive games. The Orioles have not lost a series since dropping 2-of-3 games at the San Diego Padres Aug. 14-16.
The Angels have struggled on the mound of late. They have allowed 16 runs (14 earned) over their last 2 games and have a 6.21 team ERA since Aug. 19. Los Angeles has gone 4-11 over that stretch.
Orioles at Angels projected starters
RHP Dean Kremer vs. LHP Reid Detmers
Kremer (12-5 4.20 ERA) is making his 28th start of the season. He’s logged a 1.28 WHIP 2.6 BB/9 and 8.0 K/9 through 150 IP.
- Last start: No-decision 6 IP 1 ER 6 H 0 BB 5 K in 9-3 home win vs. Chicago White Sox last Tuesday
- 2023 road stats: 5-3 3.77 ERA in 62 IP across 11 starts
- Two career starts vs. Angels: 2-0 2.53 ERA in 10 2/3 IP (2022-23)
Detmers (3-10 5.01 ERA) makes his 25th start. He owns a 1.40 WHIP 3.9 BB/9 and 10.3 K/9 through 124 IP.
- Last start: No-decision 4 IP 4 H 2 R 3 BB 3 K in 10-8 road win vs. Philadelphia Phillies Wednesday
- 2023 home stats: 2-4 4.56 ERA in 71 IP across 13 starts
- Two career starts vs. Orioles: 0-1 1.64 ERA in 11 IP (2022)
- Has filed a 6.68 ERA over his last 7 starts (7.65 ERA last 4 GS at home)
Orioles at Angels odds
- Moneyline: Orioles -175 (bet $175 to win $100) | Angels +145 (bet $100 to win $145)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Orioles -1.5 (-110) | Angels +1.5 (-110)
- Over/Under (O/U): 8.5 (O: -115 | U: -105)
Orioles at Angels picks and predictions
Angels 5 Orioles 4
Kremer has allowed just 1 run over his last 12 innings and he owns a 2.90 ERA in the second half. That 2.90 mark has been aided by generous rates around the margins though and the Baltimore hurler can struggle against lefty bats (.824 OPS allowed).
Although banged up and not playing well the Angels can stack their lineup from that left side and they do own an above-average .758 OPS against right-handers.
Peg the Orioles as being too far out over their skis with a 24-12 mark in 1-run games.
The lean is weak-to-moderate and the price is a tad south of what we would want for a fully vested play BACK THE ANGELS (+145) on a partial-unit play.
Run line/Against the spread
In relative return the better Los Angeles play is the one above PASS.
The runs scored vs. expected swing both ways here. There are plenty of reasons both dinging and supporting both sides of this total. Take the pitch and wait for a better offering AVOID.