Russian MMA star Alexander Pisarev died at the age of 33 after reportedly eating a watermelon.
Pisarev, who fought for promotions such as Absolute Championship Berkut and Fight Nights Global, was also a former Moscow hand-to-hand combat champion who reached the MMA European Championships final.
The 33-year-old was found unconscious in his apartment by his father, Igor Vladimirovich, last October. The Tomahawk Sports Club, of which he was a member, shared the following message:
“My brother, my friend, my student! Words cannot express the extent of the loss,” per The Mirror. “Alexander Pisarev is the standard of friendship, decency, and courage of a Russian person. We and I will miss you! Rest in peace, our brother,” they added.
Alexander’s father spoke to the Shot Telegram channel and disclosed that he realized his son was not breathing when he looked into the room where he was sleeping with his wife.
“There were fractures of the fingers after the last fights, but this is nothing. We all eat the same food, we live together,” he explained.
It’s since been revealed that Pisarev’s death came as a result of food poisoning.
Russian outlet Pravda reported that the fighter had shared a watermelon with his wife, who ended up hospitalized but survived the mishap. Unfortunately, Pisarev was not so lucky.
It’s been noted that watermelons could become poisonous through their outer skin as they can become contaminated because they grow so close to the ground.