The Miami Marlins (25-26) and Los Angeles Angels (28-23) open a 3-game set Friday at Angel Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 9:38 p.m. ET.
Season series: First meeting; Angels won last season’s series 3-1
The Marlins lost 7-6 as -117 favorites at the Colorado Rockies Thursday. Miami scored 4 runs to tie Colorado in the top of the 9th inning before eventually losing for the 4th time in its last 5 games to a walk-off single in the bottom of the frame.
The Angels won 7-3 as +101 home underdogs vs. the Boston Red Sox Wednesday. Los Angeles has won 4 straight games and 6 of 7.
Marlins at Angels projected starters
LHP Jesús Luzardo vs. LHP Reid Detmers
Luzardo (3-3 3.83 ERA) makes his 11th start. He has a 1.37 WHIP 2.9 BB/9 and 10.1 K/9 through 56 1/3 innings.
- Last outing: Loss 5 IP 6 ER 6 H 1 BB 8 K in a 7-5 loss at San Francisco Giants Sunday
- Career vs. Angels: 0-0 1.64 ERA (11 IP 2 ER) 5 H 1 HR 2 BB 17 K in 1 start and 4 relief appearances
Detmers (0-3 4.87 ERA) makes his 9th start. He has a 1.43 WHIP 3.8 BB/9 and 11.7 K/9 through 40 2/3 innings.
- Last outing: No-decision 5 2/3 IP 3 ER 2 H 3 BB 12 K in a 5-4 win vs. Minnesota Twins last Friday
- First career start vs. Marlins
Marlins at Angels odds
- Moneyline (ML): Marlins +120 (bet $100 to win $120) | Angels -145 (bet $145 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Marlins +1.5 (-165) | Angels -1.5 (+140)
- Over/Under (O/U): 8 (O: -115 | U: -105)
Marlins at Angels picks and predictions
Angels 4 Marlins 3
BET ANGELS (-145).
The Angels have won 4 straight and are 13-4 in their last 17 at home vs. teams with a losing record. The Marlins are just 1-6 in their last 7 vs. left-handed starters and are coming off a demoralizing loss at the Rockies last time out. The Angels dominated the Marlins last season and should do so once again in this series opener.
The Marlins have been losing games but their last 2 losses were both by just 1 run. Miami +1.5 (-165) should hit but there is no need to pay the higher price on the run line when Angels moneyline is the better play. Bet Los Angeles moneyline and/or the total instead.
BET UNDER 8 (-105).
The Under is 4-1 in Miami’s last 5 games after scoring 5 or more runs last time out and is 4-1 in its last 5 vs. left-handed starters.
The Under has hit in 4 of Los Angeles’ last 5 games and should hit again Friday as the Marlins’ offense comes back down to Earth after exploding for 4 runs in the 9th inning at Colorado Thursday.