The Miami Marlins (25-26) and Los Angeles Angels (28-23) open a 3-game set Friday at Angel Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 9:38 p.m. ET.
Season series: First meeting; Angels won last season’s series 3-1
The Marlins lost 7-6 as -117 favorites at the Colorado Rockies Thursday. Miami scored 4 runs to tie Colorado in the top of the 9th inning before eventually losing for the 4th time in its last 5 games to a walk-off single in the bottom of the frame.
The Angels won 7-3 as +101 home underdogs vs. the Boston Red Sox Wednesday. Los Angeles has won 4 straight games and 6 of 7.
Marlins at Angels projected starters
LHP Jesús Luzardo vs. LHP Reid Detmers
Luzardo (3-3 3.83 ERA) makes his 11th start. He has a 1.37 WHIP 2.9 BB/9 and 10.1 K/9 through 56 1/3 innings.
- Last outing: Loss 5 IP 6 ER 6 H 1 BB 8 K in a 7-5 loss at San Francisco Giants Sunday
- Career vs. Angels: 0-0 1.64 ERA (11 IP 2 ER) 5 H 1 HR 2 BB 17 K in 1 start and 4 relief appearances
Detmers (0-3 4.87 ERA) makes his 9th start. He has a 1.43 WHIP 3.8 BB/9 and 11.7 K/9 through 40 2/3 innings.
- Last outing: No-decision 5 2/3 IP 3 ER 2 H 3 BB 12 K in a 5-4 win vs. Minnesota Twins last Friday
- First career start vs. Marlins
Marlins at Angels odds
- Moneyline (ML): Marlins +120 (bet $100 to win $120) | Angels -145 (bet $145 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Marlins +1.5 (-165) | Angels -1.5 (+140)
- Over/Under (O/U): 8 (O: -115 | U: -105)
Marlins at Angels picks and predictions
Angels 4 Marlins 3
BET ANGELS (-145).
The Angels have won 4 straight and are 13-4 in their last 17 at home vs. teams with a losing record. The Marlins are just 1-6 in their last 7 vs. left-handed starters and are coming off a demoralizing loss at the Rockies last time out. The Angels dominated the Marlins last season and should do so once again in this series opener.
Run line/Against the spread
The Marlins have been losing games but their last 2 losses were both by just 1 run. Miami +1.5 (-165) should hit but there is no need to pay the higher price on the run line when Angels moneyline is the better play. Bet Los Angeles moneyline and/or the total instead.
BET UNDER 8 (-105).
The Under is 4-1 in Miami’s last 5 games after scoring 5 or more runs last time out and is 4-1 in its last 5 vs. left-handed starters.
The Under has hit in 4 of Los Angeles’ last 5 games and should hit again Friday as the Marlins’ offense comes back down to Earth after exploding for 4 runs in the 9th inning at Colorado Thursday.