The Colorado Rockies (16-14) conclude their 3-game road set with the San Francisco Giants (18-12) Wednesday. First pitch from Oracle Park is set for 3:45 p.m. ET. Let’s analyze Tipico Sportsbook‘s lines around the Rockies vs. Giants odds with MLB picks and predictions.
The Giants have won the first 2 games of the season series. San Francisco clobbered Colorado 9-2 Tuesday.
Colorado won its first 2 road series of the year — a 2-0 sweep of the Texas Rangers and a 2-1 series victory over the Detroit Tigers — and it seemed that maybe this team had finally shaken the road woes it had suffered in previous years. However, the Rockies have proceeded to drop 8 of their last 9 contests away from Coors, and it seems old habits are rearing their head.
The Giants were mired in a 1-7 slump between April 27 and May 6, but have gotten back on track. San Francisco has won 4 straight, including the final 2 games of a series split with the St. Louis Cardinals and the opening 2 of this series. The Giants have scored 34 runs in the 4-game span.
Rockies at Giants projected starters
RHP Chad Kuhl vs. RHP Alex Cobb
Kuhl (3-0, 1.82 ERA) makes his 6th start. He has a 0.84 WHIP, 2.7 BB/9 and 6.7 K/9 in 29 2/3 IP.
- Allowed 1 ER on 3 H and 2 BB with 5 K in 6 IP in his last start Friday at the Arizona Cardinals.
- Despite showing some improvement in the early season he has also benefited from a below-average BABIP (.179) and above-average LOB% (85.6) leading to a 3.84 xFIP and 2.89 xERA.
Cobb (1-1, 4.80 ERA) makes his 5th start. He has a 1.53 WHIP, 3.6 BB/9 and 13.2 K/9 in 15 IP.
- Allowed 2 ER on 3 H and 1 BB with 8 K in 5 IP Friday vs. St. Louis.
- Has been hampered by a .400 BABIP and 46.3% LOB% while actually sporting a 1.24 xERA and 2.04 xFIP.
Rockies at Giants odds and lines
- Money line (ML): Rockies +175 (bet $100 to win $175) | Giants -220 (bet $220 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Rockies +1.5 (-130) | Giants -1.5 (+105)
- Over/Under (O/U): 7.5 (O: -102 | U: -122)
Rockies at Giants picks and predictions
Giants 5, Rockies 3
Cobb has been better than his surface numbers indicate and Kuhl has been perhaps a bit worse, so some regression to the mean may be in play for both of them.
Unfortunately, the value is drowned out here on the Rockies (-220) for a suitable single bet PASS.
There is some risk here that the starting pitching numbers continue on the trend they’ve been on to start the year for both sides, but other considerations come into play here as well.
Colorado finds itself in the familiar position of being a below-average road team at the plate. The Rockies are in the bottom half of the league in OPS, wOBA and wRC+ away from Coors Field. The Giants are a top 10 team in those metrics at Oracle.
The Rockies also have one of the worst bullpens in the league, while the Giants’ backend comes in well-rested. Take the GIANTS -1.5 (+105) for some plus-money value.
This is a very low number and should be getable. Kuhl is tossing beyond his means and has a weak bullpen to back him up, and Cobb has given up a couple of runs to every team he’s faced. There’s a wind going to be blowing out on a nice sunny day in San Francisco and this game should get to the OVER 7.5 (-102).