Cowboys Address Trade Rumor Involving Connor McGovern

Heavy

Dallas Cowboys offensive lineman Connor McGovern reportedly is drawing trade interest from multiple teams — plural – around the NFL. But the team he currently plays for appears reluctant to surrender a starting-caliber piece of its championship-level roster.

“As we all know, and as we saw last year, just because you might have your starting five, which certainly hadn’t ruled Connor McGovern out starting,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said Friday in response to the rumor. “He’s still competing his ass off, but you got to have seven or eight of these guys to make it through a season. So, I find it really hard to see us doing anything that would hurt us in that area right there.”

ESPN’s Todd Archer first reported Friday that unnamed suitors are “eyeing a move” for McGovern, whom Dallas is “reluctant” to deal away ahead of the 2021 regular season.

“They see him as a starter even if he does not open season as one,” Archer added.

Preceding Jones’ remarks were that of Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy, who acknowledged McGovern’s development following his wash-out rookie campaign — and seemingly took the 23-year-old Penn State product off the bargaining table.

“Connor McGovern is just continuing to build off of last year,” McCarthy told reporters, via Pro Football Talk. “He had a tremendous finish as far as his growth as a player throughout last year. He had a strong finish at the end of the year, and he’s continued that.”

#football

s
search
c
compose new post
r
reply
e
edit
t
go to top
j
go to the next post or comment
k
go to the previous post or comment
o
toggle comment visibility
esc
cancel edit post or comment