The Boston Red Sox (66-60) and Houston Astros (72-55) meet Wednesday at Minute Maid Park for the 3rd game of a 4-game set. First pitch is scheduled for 8:10 p.m. ET (MLB Network).
Season series: Houston leads 2-0
Boston had won 8 of its last 11 prior games to this series starting on Monday. Over the twin losses in this set the Red Sox have managed a combined 21 hits but have gone just 4-for-28 (.143) with runners in scoring position.
The Astros have scored 16 runs over games 1 and 2. Since Aug. 6 Houston has averaged 6.33 runs per game on the strength of an .842 OPS.
Red Sox at Astros projected starters
LHP Chris Sale vs. RHP Jose Urquidy
Sale (5-3 4.50 ERA) makes his 14th start of the 2023 campaign. He has a 1.12 WHIP 2.4 BB/9 and 10.7 K/9 through 68 IP.
- Last start: Loss 4 1/3 IP 3 R (2 ER) 2 H 3 BB 3 K in 10-7 loss at Washington Nationals Thursday
- 2023 road stats: 1-0 3.69 ERA in 31 2/3 IP across 6 starts
- Last 5 vs. Astros: 2-2 3.78 ERA in 33 1/3 IP (2016-2019)
- Making his 3rd start off the IL (shoulder): went 58 and 65 pitches in his first 2 games back
Urquidy (2-3 5.21 ERA) makes his 9th start and 10th appearance. He has a 1.42 WHIP 3.1 BB/9 and 8.1 K/9 through 38 IP.
- Last start: Loss 5 IP 1 ER 3H 0 BB 7 K in 2-1 home loss vs. Los Angeles Angels Aug. 13
- Pitched 2 scoreless innings of relief Friday vs. Seattle Mariners
- 2023 home stats: 1-2 4.35 ERA in 22 IP IP across 4 starts and 1 relief appearance
- Career vs. Red Sox: 3-0 2.50 ERA in 18 IP in 3 starts (2021-22)
- Making his 3rd start off an extended stay on the IL (shoulder)
Red Sox at Astros odds
- Moneyline: Red Sox -105 (bet $105 to win $100) | Astros -115 (bet $115 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Red Sox -1.5 (+155) | Astros +1.5 (-190)
- Over/Under (O/U): 9 (O: -105 | U: -115)
Red Sox at Astros picks and predictions
Red Sox 5 Astros 4
Look for Sale to get a tad deeper in this match-up of injured-and-returned hurlers. Peg the Red Sox bullpen as being an undervalued group. Boston owns a relief ERA of 4.30 since July 1 but that figure has been registered alongside a .335 batting average on balls in play.
Impressive offensive numbers are not too far back in the Red Sox’ rearview mirror. Only some wonky clutch numbers have brought Boston down so far in this series.
FanDuel Sportsbook has the better price here BACK THE RED SOX (-104).
Run line/Against the spread
Lots of extra juice here PASS.
No indicators swaying expected production either way PASS.