The Colorado Rockies (15-10) kick off a 6-game road trip Friday when they open a 3-game set against the Arizona Diamondbacks (13-13). First pitch is 9:40 p.m. ET at Chase Field. Let’s analyze Tipico Sportsbook‘s lines around the Rockies vs. Diamondbacks odds with MLB picks and predictions.
This will be the first meeting between the two teams this season.
The Rockies just finished a 5-1 homestand and took the final 2 games of a 3-game series against the Washington Nationals. They won the finale Thursday 9-7. Colorado was swept in a 4-game road series at the Philadelphia Phillies prior to the homestand.
The Diamondbacks are coming off a 7-game road trip in which they went 5-2, sweeping the 3-game set they had against the Miami Marlins. They have won 7 of their last 9 games to reach .500 on the season for the first time since April 9.
Rockies at Diamondbacks projected starters
RHP Chad Kuhl vs. RHP Merrill Kelly
Kuhl (3-0, 1.90 ERA) makes his 5th start. He has a 0.85 WHIP, 2.7 BB/9 and 6.5 K/9 through 23 2/3 IP.
- Did not allow more than 1 run in his first 3 starts but allowed 3 in 7 1/3 innings in his last outing, a 4-3 win over the Cincinnati Reds Saturday.
- He has not fared well against the Diamondbacks in his career, going 0-1 with an 11.25 ERA over 8 innings across 2 starts and 1 relief appearance.
Kelly (2-1, 1.27 ERA) makes his 6th start. He has a 1.02 WHIP, 2.2 BB/9 and 8.3 K/9 through 28 1/3 IP.
- Has had 3 scoreless starts this season and 1 in which he allowed just 1 run.
- Tossed 7 innings of 2-hit ball in a 2-0 win over the St. Louis Cardinals in his last outing.
- Kelly is 1-3 with a 6.49 ERA across 34 2/3 innings in 6 career starts vs. the Rockies.
Rockies at Diamondbacks odds and lines
- Money line (ML): Rockies +122 (bet $100 to win $122) | Diamondbacks -150 (bet $150 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Rockies +1.5 (-175) | Diamondbacks -1.5 (+140)
- Over/Under (O/U): 8.5 (O: -108 | U: -112)
Rockies at Diamondbacks picks and predictions
Diamondbacks 4, Rockies 2
The Rockies have been fantastic at home this season, as they usually are. However, they are only 4-5 on the road so far. While that is much better than last season they’ve lost their last 4 road games.
Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks have been playing very well. They have won 5 of their last 6 games and 7 of their last 9 overall. They are 3-2 in Kelly’s starts.
They have the league’s 2nd-best starting pitching ERA at 2.54, behind only the Los Angele Dodgers’ 1.90.
Kelly has been great this season.
This is the first game the Diamondbacks are the favorite.
Take DIAMONDBACKS (-150).
Seven of the Diamondbacks’ 13 wins have been by at least 2 runs. This is the first time all season they are favored on the run line, so there are no trends to look at there.
The Rockies are 4-5 ATS on the road this season.
I love the pitching matchup but like Kelly a little more than Kuhl.
Take the DIAMONDBACKS -1.5 (+140).
Four of Kelly’s 5 starts this season had 5 or fewer runs.
All 4 of Kuhl’s starts had 8 or fewer runs.
If both starters go deep into the game, as they did each in their last respective starts where they both went at least 7 innings, it will stay low-scoring. Both teams have a bullpen ERA in the bottom four of the league that could throw this in jeopardy if the starters exit early.
Take UNDER 8.5 (-112).