The Colorado Rockies (63-82) finish a 3-game set with the Chicago Cubs (62-83) Sunday at Wrigley Field. First pitch is set for 2:20 p.m. ET.
Season series: Tied 3-3
The Rockies are 2-2 on this Windy City road trip as they split the 2-game series with the Chicago White Sox and have done the same through the first 2 games of this series with the Cubs. The Rockies are 6-4 over the last 10 games but remain a bad road team with a 23-48 mark.
Saturday’s loss snapped a 4-game winning streak for the Cubbies. The two teams have combined for just 7 total runs in this series. Chicago is 5-5 and 14-16 over the last 10 and 30 games, respectively. Rain is in the forecast — so keep an eye on that up to first pitch.
Rockies at Cubs projected starters
RHP Ryan Feltner vs. RHP Javier Assad
Feltner (2-8, 6.12 ERA) makes his 16th start and 17th appearance. He has a 1.45 WHIP, 3.4 BB/9 and 8.2 K/9 in 75 IP.
- Has given up at least 2 ER in all but 3 starts
- A little less miserable on the road: 5.97 ERA, 1.51 WHIP and 8.6 K/9 vs. 6.27 ERA, 1.39 WHIP and 7.7 K/9 at Coors Field
Assad (1-1, 2.53 ERA) makes his 6th appearance and 5th start. He has a 1.41 WHIP, 4.2 BB/9 and 7.6 K/9 in 21 1/3 IP.
- Had just 1 bad start with 4 ER against Reds; allowed 1 ER in 15 IP in his 3 other starts
- Doesn’t throw hard; uses a 93-mph fastball, a cutter, changeup, slider and curveball to keep hitters off balance
Rockies at Cubs odds
- Money line (ML): Rockies +105 (bet $100 to win $105) | Cubs -130 (bet $130 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Rockies +1.5 (-190) | Tigers -1.5 (+155)
- Over/Under (O/U): 9.5 (O: -120 | U: -105)
Rockies at Cubs picks and predictions
Cubs 7, Rockies 5
We’ve had a couple of snoozefests in the first 2 games of this series, and I think the doors are going to be blasted off today. Feltner has been awful, and the wind is blowing out to right-center field at 10 mph.
I’m picking the Cubs to pull this one out, but I actually like their run totals more. Toss a FULL UNIT at the CUBS OVER 4.5 TOTAL RUNS (-130) and a HALF-UNIT at CUBS OVER 5.5 TOTAL RUNS (+125).
Run line/Against the spread
With the rain coming, I don’t want to mess with the RL. Instead, we’ll continue fading Feltner, who has given up at least 3 ER in 7 of his last 8 starts. Take the CUBS OVER 2.5 TOTAL RUNS FIRST 5 INNINGS (-113). I might even throw TWO UNITS at it.
As mentioned, the wind is blowing out pretty steadily. The Rockies’ pitcher has a 6 ERA. Both teams scored just 7 runs in the two previous games. There’s not much to think about here. Take the OVER 9.5 (-120).