The New York Yankees (87-57) and Milwaukee Brewers (77-67) meet Saturday night to continue a 3-game interleague series. The battle at American Family Field is scheduled for an 7:10 p.m. ET first pitch.
Season series: Milwaukee leads 1-0. The Brewers took Friday’s game by a score of 7-6.
New York had a 4-game win streak snapped Friday. But a Yankees offense that has often struggled in the season’s 2nd half continued to log productive at-bats. The ballclub owns an .847 OPS over its last 5 games and a .795 mark over its last 10.
The Brewers are 6-2 over their last 8 games. Milwaukee owns a robust 13-5 record over its last 18 games at home.
New York is 7-9 in interleague play this season while Milwaukee is 14-4.
Yankees at Brewers projected starters
RHP Jameson Taillon vs. RHP Brandon Woodruff
Taillon (13-4, 3.94 ERA) is tabbed for his 29th start. He has logged a 1.13 WHIP, 1.6 BB/9 and 7.5 K/9 through 153 IP.
- Current Milwaukee batters own a small-sample, aggregate .633 OPS against him
- Facing a Brewers’ lineup that has been much more dangerous against right-handers (.751 OPS) than against lefties (.665 OPS)
- Has a history of September surges: over his career has allowed a .660 OPS in September/October regular-season games
Woodruff (10-4, 3.39 ERA) has authored a 1.12 WHIP, 2.6 BB/9 and 10.7 K/9 through 127 1/3 IP across 23 starts.
- Draws a right-leaning Yankee batting order. Woodruff has been tougher against lefty bats the last 3 years.
- Has clocked a 2.40 ERA, 0.90 WHIP across his last 30 IP at home
Yankees at Brewers odds
- Money line: Yankees +110 (bet $100 to win $110) | Brewers -125 (bet $135 to win $100)
- Run line (RL)/Against the spread (ATS): Yankees +1.5 (-200) | Brewers -1.5 (+160)
- Over/Under (O/U): 7.5 (O: -102 | U: -122)
Yankees at Brewers picks and predictions
Brewers 4, Yankees 3
Woodruff has been a click better than Taillon this season. Of late, that margin has been perhaps 2 clicks.
Add in a tad more bullpen fatigue on the Yankee side of the aisle, and mix in the Brewers’ proficiency against right-handers.
There is value in MILWAUKEE (-135).
Run line/Against the spread
PASS: Likable Under. Both clubs play a lot of 1-run games.
Both pitchers excel in keeping their respective clubs in games without suffering a lot of clunkers. Both bullpens have a platoon advantage: New York relievers excel against lefty bats; Milwaukee relievers excel against righties.
Tab the UNDER 7.5 (-122) as being worth a partial-unit play (full-unit action at -120 or better).