The Cleveland Guardians (15-14) and Chicago White Sox (14-14) meet Tuesday for the middle game of a 3-game set at Guaranteed Rate Field. First pitch is set for 8:10 p.m. ET. Let’s analyze Tipico Sportsbook‘s lines around the Guardians vs. White Sox odds with MLB picks and predictions.
Season series: Cleveland leads 4-0 and has outscored Chicago 31-14.
The Guardians took Monday’s opener 12-9 in extra-innings and are 8-2 over their last 10 games. The 12 runs Monday are part of a trend with this club away from home: the Guardians’ road OPS of .752 ranks 3rd in MLB.
The Pale Hose went into this series on a 6-game win streak. However, Chicago yielded more runs Monday than it had over those 6 straight wins.
Guardians at White Sox projected starters
RHP Cal Quantrill vs. RHP Lucas Giolito
Quantrill (1-1, 3.54 ERA) makes his 6th start. He has a 1.21 WHIP, 4.8 BB/9 and 5.5 K/9 through 28 IP.
- Has not allowed more than 3 earned runs in any start.
- Had a 1.10 ERA through 16 1/3 IP across 2 starts and 4 relief appearances against the White Sox in 2021.
Giolito (1-1, 3.20 ERA) makes his 5th start. He has a 1.17 WHIP, 3.7 BB/9 and 14.6 K/9 through 19 2/3 IP.
- Fanned 10 in 5 2/3 IP in his last start Wednesday at the Chicago Cubs but also allowed 2 home runs and 3 runs overall.
- Has allowed 6 earned runs in his last 11 2/3 IP.
- Current Cleveland bats own a .517 OPS against him.
Guardians at White Sox odds and lines
- Money line: Guardians +155 (bet $100 to win $155) | White Sox -190 (bet $190 to win $100)
- Run line (RL): Guardians +1.5 (-140) | White Sox -1.5 (+115)
- Over/Under (O/U): 7.5 (O: -125 | U: +100)
Guardians at White Sox picks and predictions
White Sox 6, Guardians 3
Quantrill’s velocity is down a couple of ticks and a beneficial .222 batting average on balls in play has tamped down his ERA. Giolito, meanwhile, has pitched around the traffic of a .314 BABIP. In the year of the dying-short-of-the-wall fly ball, he’s also been hurt by a 22.2% home run rate on flies.
The Chicago ‘pen is better rested in the right slots heading into this game.
KEEP AN EYE ON THE WHITE SOX (-190). A drop in price to -185 or better makes Chicago a solid play.
TAKE CHICAGO -1.5 (+115).
A lot rides on Quantrill in this one — too much. The tag on getting the ChiSox by with the 2-run cushion is fair.
The Over was a solid play Monday and is the general lean for the series. A warmed-up night in Chicago — with temps in the 80s — gets mixed with some fade-Quantrill and fade-both bullpens leans.
BACK THE OVER 7.5 (-125).