The Tampa Bay Rays chased Justin Verlander off the mound after 4 innings, and beat the Houston Astros 4-1 in Game 4 of their American League Divisional Series. Now, the Rays hope to take down the Astros in Game 5 for the biggest upset yet of the MLB Playoffs. Do the Rays have another victory in them? Or, will the Stros beat Tampa and head to the ALCS against the New York Yankees? Keep reading for MLB Playoff odds, a preview and a free pick for Rays vs Astros Game 5!
Rays vs Astros 2019 ALDS Game 5 Lines, Game Preview & Expert Pick
- When: Thursday, Oct. 10 at 7:07pm ET
- Where: Minute Maid Park, Houston, TX
- TV: FS1
- Radio: Rays / Astros
- Live Stream: Fox Sports Go
- Moneyline: Rays +225 / Astros -275
- Over/Under Total: 7
- Sunny: 30°C/86°F
- Humidity: 58%
- Precipitation: 2%
- Wind: 10 mph SE
- Cloud Cover: 15%
- Type of Stadium: Retractable
Why Tampa Bay Rays are a good bet at +225?
It’s very difficult to bet against the Rays after seeing how thoroughly they dismantled both Zach Greinke in Game 3 and Justin Verlander in Game 4. In Game 3, they dominated Greinke. In Game 4, they put a beating on a possible 2019 American League Cy Young winner.
Not only that, but Game 5 starter, Tyler Glasnow pitched well during the regular season. He went 6-1 with a 1.78 ERA and a .89 WHIP. If Glasnow can regain that form on Thursday, the Rays could pull off the upset.
- Runs/G: 4.75
- BA: .254
- OPS: .757
- HR: 217
- SB: 94
- ERA: 3.67
- WHIP: 1.17
- KS: 1621
- Quality Starts: 53
- Errors: 87
Why Houston Astros are a good bet at -275
The Houston Astros let Game 3 and Game 4 slip away from them. Make no mistake, though, Houston is favored to win the World Series for a reason. The Astros remain the best team in the MLB Playoffs. More importantly for Game 5, Gerrit Cole heads back to the mound.
Cole was unreal in the 3-1 victory over the Rays in Game 2. He threw 7.2 innings, gave up only 4 hits, didn’t allow a run, and struck out 15. He dominated in every way imaginable. There’s no reason to believe Cole doesn’t dominate again.
- Runs/G: 5.68
- BA: .274
- OPS: .848
- HR: 288
- SB: 67
- ERA: 3.68
- WHIP: 1.13
- KS: 1671
- Quality Starts: 88
- Errors: 70
ALDS Game 5 Betting Trends for Rays vs Astros
- Rays are 1-4 in their last 5 road games
- Rays are 6-1 in Glasnow’s last 7 road starts
- The total has gone UNDER in 7 of Tampa Bay’s last 10 games
- Astros are 6-0 in their last 6 Divisional Playoff home games
- Astros are 27-4 in Cole’s last 31 home starts
- Home team is 4-0 in Meals’ last 4 games behind home plate
ALDS Game 5 Rays vs Astros Betting Analysis
The Rays got to Justin Verlander but that’s because Verlander threw on only 3 days of rest. His control was way off. Many of his pitches sailed on him. Cole heads to the mound on Thursday after 5 days of rest.
He’ll be ready to dominate the Rays again. Almost as important are two facts about the Rays in this matchup. They beat the Astros in Game 2 by chasing Glasnow off the mound after 4.1 innings. Glasnow could have the same trouble in Game 5 he had in Game 2.
The other thing to consider is that the Rays won Game 4 by utilizing their bullpen. That could pose a problem in Game 5. If those relievers are tired, Houston could end up taking advantage in the mid to late innings. No matter what happens, it’s hard to see Tampa Bay figuring out Gerrit Cole. Houston wins by at least 2.
MLB Free Pick: Houston Astros -1 ½ -130
More MLB Playoffs Betting News
- Nationals vs Dodgers 2019 NLDS Game 5 Odds, Analysis & Prediction
- Cardinals vs Braves 2019 NLDS Game 5 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Week Six Daily Fantasy Football Picks (Ep. 736)
- Astros vs Rays 2019 ALDS Game 4 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Dodgers vs Nationals 2019 NLDS Game 4 Odds, Preview & Prediction
- Braves vs Cardinals 2019 NLDS Game 4 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Dodgers vs Nationals 2019 NLDS Game 3 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Cardinals vs Braves 2019 NLDS Game 3 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Twins vs Yankees 2019 ALDS Game 2 Odds, Preview & Pick
- Rays vs Astros 2019 ALDS Game 2 Odds, Preview and Pick
- Twins vs Yankees 2019 ALDS Game 1 Odds & Game Preview
- Rays vs Astros 2019 ALDS Game 1 Odds, Game Info & Prediction
- Nationals vs Dodgers 2019 NLDS Game 2 Betting Lines & Preview
- Cardinals vs Braves 2019 NLDS Game 2 Odds, Preview & Prediction