Winning on a consistent basis over the course of a 162-game season is very tough to do. To take it one step further, winning series consistently is perhaps tougher still, especially since every team in the league has one or two teams that they are simply unable to solve. A great run of form can quickly come to a grinding halt when that bogey team shows up on the schedule, even if it’s an opponent that is having a tough time winning.
As a bettor, those are the match-ups that you should be looking for, as they are a food way to score some relatively easy wins. We potentially have one of those types of series going right now, with the Pittsburgh Pirates on the road to face the Arizona Diamondbacks, a team that they have beaten just once in 6 meetings this season. The Pirates did finally break their goose egg with a win yesterday, but can they make it 2 in a row on Wednesday afternoon or will the D-Backs get back to their dominance? Arizona is favored by 1 ½, with the run total set at 7 ½.
Pirates vs Diamondbacks MLB Lines & Game Preview
— Pirates (@Pirates) 15 de mayo de 2019
- When: Wednesday, May 15 at 3:40 PM EST
- Where: Chase Field, Phoenix
- Starting Pitchers: Archer vs. Greinke
- TV: MLB Extra Innings
- Radio: ESPN 1320
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- MLB Odds: Arizona Diamondbacks -158 (Total 7.5)
Why bet on the Pittsburgh Pirates?
The Pirates went into yesterday’s game with the Diamondbacks, the second in this particular series, on a 5-game losing skid. They finally got one over on Arizona, winning that game 6-2. The win was surprising given that the previous meetings were so one-sided, with the Diamondbacks outscoring the Pirates by a combined score of 39-10.
The question now is whether the win for the Pirates was a blip on the radar or a sign that they are about to make things a little more respectable versus Arizona. This series aside, the Pirates have been solid of late, going 7-3 in their last 10 games. They are now 3 games above .500 overall and have the same mark on the road, where they are 12-9. It will be Chris Archer (1-2, 4.33 ERA) who gets the start here.
- Runs: 3.77
- Hits: 8.33
- Walks: 2.85
- Strike Outs: 8.72
- Runs: 4.72
- Hits: 8.26
- Walks: 3.36
- Strike Outs: 8.82
Why bet on the Arizona Diamondbacks?
The Diamondbacks did not have the best end to last week, losing 3 in a row to the Atlanta Braves, while also losing ground in the NL West, where they are currently second to the LA Dodgers. Overall, the Diamondbacks are now 23-20 SU, which has them 4 ½ games back of the Dodgers, although still in decent shape in the Wild Card, which we really shouldn’t be talking about this early.
It has been a bit of a rough ride for Arizona of late, picking up just 3 wins in their last 10 games. Home field has not really helped them this season either, as they are just 9-11 in their own ballpark. As a home favorite, the D-Backs are 4-6 ATS. It will be Zack Greinke (5-1, 3.16 ERA) who gets the start on Wednesday.
- Runs: 5.02
- Hits: 9.23
- Walks: 3.09
- Strike Outs: 9.00
- Runs: 4.67
- Hits: 8.77
- Walks: 3.33
- Strike Outs: 9.05
Pirates vs Diamondbacks MLB Betting Trends
- Pirates are 4-1 SU in their last 5 games on the road
- The total has gone OVER in 5 of Pittsburgh’s last 6 games when playing on the road against Arizona
- Diamondbacks are 1-4 SU in their last 5 games at home
- The total has gone UNDER in 4 of Arizona’s last 6 games against an opponent in the National League
- Diamondbacks are 15-8 against the money line when playing against a team with a winning record this season
- Pirates are 10-3 against the money line in road games against right-handed starters this season
- Archer is 1-0 when starting against ARIZONA with an ERA of 4.69 and a WHIP of 1.434
- Greinke is 9-4 when starting against PITTSBURGH with an ERA of 4.17 and a WHIP of 0.985
Expert Pick & Final Score Prediction for Pirates vs Diamondbacks
I think that we get back to normal business with this one, which means that I believe Arizona will get back to beating the Pirates. Greinke has been great this season, so look for him to dominate again.
Score: Pittsburgh Pirates 2 – Arizona Diamondbacks 5