Kansas City Chiefs co-owner, chairman and CEO Clark Hunt spoke with reporters on Sunday for the first time since the team announced the release of Kareem Hunt on November 30, saying among other things that the team still supports their former star running back even though his days in Kansas City have come to an end.
Clark Hunt spoke following Kansas City's 27-24 overtime win over the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday and revealed that the team did know about all three off-field incidents Kareem Hunt had earlier this year (a January incident where he was accused of being part of a group of people who beat up a man at a Kansas City nightclub; a February incident where Hunt was caught on camera pushing and kicking a woman in the hallway outside his Cleveland hotel apartment; and a June incident where he was accused of punching a man in Put-in-Bay, Ohio) and that each of them were reported to the NFL. Regarding the decision to release Kareem Hunt, Clark Hunt said it was done in the best interests of the team rather than attempting to make any particular point.
“I don’t think we were necessarily trying to make a statement, we just felt that the best thing for the Kansas City Chiefs moving forward was for us to part ways with Kareem,” Clark Hunt said, per the Kansas City Star. “We were obviously shocked by the video, like anybody who saw it, and we’d had some issues with Kareem not being truthful with what happened that night, and we just really felt for everybody’s best interests we needed to head in a different direction.”
Numerous reports over the weekend have stated Kareem Hunt is in the process of getting counseling and treatment for anger management as well as alcohol abuse. Clark Hunt said he supports Kareem Hunt in those efforts and hopes to one day see him back in the NFL.